Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456
HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space
© Historic England Archive
London Docks 1958 EAW071687
LONDON DOCKS, Southwark. Aerial photograph of Greenland Dock, Rotherhithe in June 1958. Also showing South Dock, the River Thames and the entrance to the Millwall Outer Dock (on the Isle of Dogs). Freighters are unloading into barges and butties. The dock was mostly used for Baltic shipping, notably whaling and timber. Greenland Dock is the oldest of London's riverside docks, originally laid out in 1695 to refit East Indiamen. The commercial docks closed in 1970, and the warehouses have now been replaced by Docklands residential developments (Swedish Quay, Baltic Quay and Brunswick Quay). Aerofilms Collection (see Links)
© Historic England Archive
Crystal Palace CC97_01549
CRYSTAL PALACE, Sydenham, London. A view of the palace from the south east looking over the grounds (late 19th century). It was built to house the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park and was moved to Sydenham soon after the exhibition closed. The building burnt down in 1936. Photograph by York and Son
© Historic England