Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > More features > Festival of Britain 1951

Festival of Britain 1951 Gallery

Choose from 71 pictures in our Festival of Britain 1951 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129 Featured Festival of Britain 1951 Image

South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129

South Bank Lion, York Road, Lambeth, Greater London. The South Bank Lion on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station, viewed from the west.
The South Bank Lion, or Red Lion, stood on the parapet of the Lion Brewery on the south bank of the River Thames near Hungerford Bridge. The sculpture was created in 1837 by William Frederick Woodington. The lion is formed from separate parts, visible in this photograph, using Coade stone. The Lion Brewery on Belvedere Road was demolished in 1949, having been damaged by fire in 1931; the site was used as the South Bank Exhibition for the Festival of Britain in 1951. The sculpture was removed before the demolition of the brewery and, having likely been painted red previously, was restored and repainted. It was positioned on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station until 1966, when it was moved to the east end of Westminster Bridge in Lambeth and was stripped of its red paint. The scultpture is Grade II* listed

© Historic England Archive

Festival of Britain AA98_06913 Featured Festival of Britain 1951 Image

Festival of Britain AA98_06913

Royal Festival Hall, Belvedere Road, South Bank, Lambeth, London. Exterior view of the Royal Festival Hall showing part of the main entrance front and the south wall. The building was designed by Leslie Martin, Peter Moro and Robert Matthews from London County Council's Architecture Department to mark the Festival of Britain in 1951. Photographed by Eric de Mare before 1962

© Historic England

Festival of Britain AA001685 Featured Festival of Britain 1951 Image

Festival of Britain AA001685

Royal Festival Hall, Belvedere Road, South Bank, Lambeth, London. The hall and shot tower from Hungerford Bridge. The tower was built in 1826 and incorporated into the development of the bank for the Festival of Britain in 1951. It was demolished shortly afterwards. Photographed bys W Rawlings

© Historic England

Archive, Exhibition