Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > More features > Romantic Ruins

Romantic Ruins Gallery

Choose from 438 pictures in our Romantic Ruins collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured Romantic Ruins Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Planning a new Cathedral JLP01_08_045789b Featured Romantic Ruins Print

Planning a new Cathedral JLP01_08_045789b

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, BAILEY LANE, COVENTRY. A view of Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh with the architect Basil Spence and Provost Howard, standing in the ruins of the old cathedral beside an architectural model, on the day of the foundation stone laying ceremony for the new Coventry Cathedral.
This image was catalogued as part of the Breaking New Ground Project in partnership with the John Laing Charitable Trust in 2019-20

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Cathedral construction and Coventry JLP01_08_058197 Featured Romantic Ruins Print

Cathedral construction and Coventry JLP01_08_058197

COVENTRY CATHEDRAL, PRIORY STREET, COVENTRY. A view from the spire of the Cathedral Church of Saint Michael, looking in a north-east direction over the construction site of the new Coventry Cathedral, with the ruins of the old cathedral in the foreground and the city of Coventry beyond.
The photograph shows the construction of the new Coventry Cathedral, designed by Basil Spence in 1951 and constructed between the mid-1950s and 1962. It replaced the ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael which had been badly damaged by bombing in 1941. The photograph was taken to show progress on the construction of the cathedral including the concrete roof and the construction of the Chapel of Unity which was now at roof level

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection