Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > More features > Romantic Ruins

Romantic Ruins Gallery

Choose from 441 pictures in our Romantic Ruins collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Cow Lane Coventry, 1941 AA42_00357 Featured Romantic Ruins Image

Cow Lane Coventry, 1941 AA42_00357

Baker Billing and Crow's Charity School, Cow Lane, Coventry. The front elevation of Baker, Billing and Crow's Charity School on Cow Lane showing the entrance to Pressings Limited Cow Lane Works. At the time this photograph was taken the former school had been converted for commercial use, in which it continued until demolition in the 1960s. A number of the windows are broken or missing, probably as a result of bombing. Coventry City centre was devastated by air raids on 14th November 1940. The raids left the cathedral in ruins and destroyed much of the historic fabric of the city

© Historic England Archive

New Street Coventry, 1941 AA42_00327 Featured Romantic Ruins Image

New Street Coventry, 1941 AA42_00327

New Street, Coventry. The exterior of 30 New Street with a woman standing in the doorway of the house holding a baby and the windows boarded as a result of bomb damage. A note beneath the photograph reports that the baby was "born during the great air-raid". Coventry City centre was devastated by air raids in November 1940. The bombing left the nearby cathedral in ruins and destroyed much of the historic fabric of the city. New Street was demolished following the end of the war

© Historic England Archive

Master Mariners Almshouses AA41_00139 Featured Romantic Ruins Image

Master Mariners Almshouses AA41_00139

MASTER MARINERS ALMSHOUSE, CARR LANE, CITY OF KINGSTON UPON HULL. An exterior view of the Master Mariner's Almshouses, damaged in an air raid in 1941, seen from the east with the former Cecil Theatre in the background. The almshouses consisted of two blocks; the first was the Master Mariner's Almshouse, built in 1834, and the second was the Mariners Almshouse, built in 1837. Both blocks were built for the Corporation of the Trinity House and housed retired and ill seamen and their families. The almshouses were damaged in 1941 by bombs, and were demolished post-war. The Theatre in the background was originally built in 1911, on the corner of Anlaby Road and the Ferensway, rebuilt in 1925 and renamed the Cecil Theatre. It also suffered bomb damage in May 1941, but the ruins were not cleared away until 1953

© Historic England Archive