Cathedral construction site JLP01_01_025_59
COVENTRY CATHEDRAL, PRIORY STREET, COVENTRY. A view looking south across the construction site of Coventry Cathedral, showing the ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael in the background.
The photograph shows the construction of the new Coventry Cathedral, designed by Basil Spence in 1951 and constructed between the mid-1950s and 1962. It replaced the ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael which had been badly damaged by bombing in 1941.
The caption below the photograph in the album reads "Looking south across the New Cathedral Site showing in the foreground the circular excavation for the pile cap to the Guild Chapel and the Boiler House Area Pile Cap under construction. In the middle ground can be seen the Piling Rigs in operation and the old Georgian House. The background shows the three Spires of Coventry these are namely, the Spire of the Cathedral Church of St Michael, with the Spire of Christ's Church just to the right, and the Spire of Trinity Church in the extreme right hand."
Copyright © Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection
Media ID 23904795
Date: 15th October 2021
Copyright Status: Copyrighted Work
Source: Historic England Archive
Owner URL: https://images.historicenglandservices.org.uk/
Credit: A© Historic England Archive. Joh
Image Size: 8160 x 6032 Pixels
Filesize is 5.85MB
Associated Categories: Romantic Ruins
Associated Categories: Coventry Cathedral
Keywords: 1950s, building site, cathedral, construction