Durham Galilee Chapel AA42_05998
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham. An interior view of the galilee in Durham Cathedral, seen from the south-west corner with a partial view of the altar in the background. The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded in 1541 as a cathedral. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.
The galilee is situated west of the west towers, and was built for Bishop le Puiset in 1189. It has four bays west-to-east and five aisles. The arcades are all on compound piers and have round-headed arches with dog-tooth mouldings. It has a raised altar against the east wall with three round-headed recesses, each a bay wide
© Historic England Archive