Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
sales@mediastorehouse.com

Art And Design Gallery

Available as Prints and Gift Items

Choose from 7 pictures in our Art And Design collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Plaza Cinema NWC01_01_0088
Plaza Cinema NWC01_01_0088
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129
South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Coronation decorations JRU01_01_088
Coronation decorations JRU01_01_088
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Coronation decorations JRU01_01_092
Coronation decorations JRU01_01_092
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Totem Pole BAR03_01_553
Totem Pole BAR03_01_553
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Totem Pole BAR03_01_552
Totem Pole BAR03_01_552
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
The Globe BAR03_01_409
The Globe BAR03_01_409
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129 Featured Print

South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129

South Bank Lion, York Road, Lambeth, Greater London. The South Bank Lion on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station, viewed from the west.
The South Bank Lion, or Red Lion, stood on the parapet of the Lion Brewery on the south bank of the River Thames near Hungerford Bridge. The sculpture was created in 1837 by William Frederick Woodington. The lion is formed from separate parts, visible in this photograph, using Coade stone. The Lion Brewery on Belvedere Road was demolished in 1949, having been damaged by fire in 1931; the site was used as the South Bank Exhibition for the Festival of Britain in 1951. The sculpture was removed before the demolition of the brewery and, having likely been painted red previously, was restored and repainted. It was positioned on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station until 1966, when it was moved to the east end of Westminster Bridge in Lambeth and was stripped of its red paint. The scultpture is Grade II* listed

© Historic England Archive