Odeon Muswell Hill NWC01_01_2006
ODEON CINEMA, FORTIS GREEN ROAD, MUSWELL HILL, HARINGEY, GREATER LONDON. The auditorium in the Odeon Cinema, viewed from the side of the circle, showing the curtained screen, proscenium and curved front and ceiling.
The Odeon Cinema opened in 1936. The exterior design of the building was restricted and subdued due to opposition from the church located opposite; the interior was therefore designed to compensate. The auditorium is described as being "the most elaborate interior of any Odeon cinema to survive". It was divided into three screens in 1974, with two screens in beneath the circle and a screen using seating in the circle and the original proscenium and screen; the former front stalls were unused. The cinema was renamed the Everyman Cinema in 2015. In 2016 two pod screens were built in the circle, while the former stalls were brought back into use and, along with the front of the circle, formed a new screen
© Historic England Archive