Baptist Chapel JLP01_08_083018
Broadmead Baptist Church, Union Street, Broadmead, City of Bristol. An interior view of Broadmead Baptist Church, showing seating overlooked by a second floor gallery, with the timber-clad wing-shaped beams of the roof above.
The site of Broadmead Baptist Church had been connected to the non-conformist movement since 1640, and a chapel was built on the site in 1695. Demolition of the buildings of the former Broadmead Baptist Chapel began in January 1968. The site was to be redeveloped with nine shops on the ground floor and a new church with meeting rooms on the upper floors. The roof was constructed of wing-shaped prefabricated steel castellated beams, and was clad in timber. The new church was officially opened in 1969
© Historic England Archive