Perronet Thompson School JLP01_10_36844
Perronet Thompson School, Wawne Road, Bransholme, City of Kingston upon Hull. A view of Perronet Thompson School from the north west.
Laing's Yorkshire Region division began work on site in September 1986 and the building was completed in June 1988. Bransholme was one of the largest local authority housing estates in Britain at the time and the school was equipped with enhanced facilities for the use of the whole community. These included the larger lending library, the Bransholme Theatre, meetings rooms, a gymnasium and courtyard tearooms. The school was named for the Kingston upon Hull born parliamentarian Thomas Perronet Thompson (1783-1869), a governor of Sierra Leone and activist against the Corn Laws. It closed in 1999 and reopened as Kingswood College of Arts but was demolished in 2011 and replaced on the same site by a new building, the Kingswood Academy. This view shows three of the six year-block modules built in pairs along the 18m high barrel vaulted spine. The clear polycarbonate barrel vault was four times longer than any other in the UK and spanned 11m
© Historic England Archive