Granada Theatre NWC01_01_2299
GALA BINGO HALL, MITCHAM ROAD, TOOTING GRAVENEY, WANDSWORTH, GREATER LONDON. Three painted panels beneath a triple colonnade of arches above the balcony in the auditorium of the Gala Bingo Hall.
The Granada Theatre opened in 1931. It closed in 1973 and reopened in 1976 as the Granada Bingo Club, later the Gala Bingo Club. The Granada Theatre is considered to be the most lavishly decorated cinema interior in Britain. Painted panels in the auditorium depict medieval-style figures, including musicians, robed figures, and wimpled ladies. The exact date of this photograph is not known; the original storage case was labelled Tooting Granada March 2004 but the photographs in the case appeared to have been taken on different occassions. It is presumed that the photographs show the building when it was operated by Gala Bingo, since 1991
© Historic England Archive