Burtons in Halifax MBC01_04_176
BURTONS, 22 - 24 OLD MARKET, HALIFAX, CALDERDALE, WEST YORKSHIRE. Looking up at the centre of the west, Princess Street elevation of the Burton store at 22-24 Old Market, showing the central relief carving bearing the company's logo.
Foundation stones were laid at the Old Market store by Arnold James Burton, Raymond Montague Burton and Stanley Howard Burton in 1932. The premises were later occupied by businesses including McDonald's. Stylised elephant heads, shown crowning pilasters between the first and second floor windows, are one a number of motifs used in the design of Burton stores. They feature on at least 9 stores designed in around 1931-1932
© Historic England Archive