Wellington Arch with Duke of Wellington statue DD97_00320
DUKE OF WELLINGTON STATUE, Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner, London. A view of the Wellington Arch on Hyde Park Corner, built by Decimus Burton in 1828. The statue was built by Matthew Cotes Wyatt between 1840 and 1843 and weighed 40 tons. The statue was moved to Aldershot when the Arch was moved to Constitution Hill in 1882 (and renamed Constitution Arch). Photographed by York and Son. Date range: 1870-1882
© Historic England
Market Hall Wolverhampton, 1942 AA42_03222
Market Hall, North Street, Wolverhampton. The west portico of the Market Hall in North Street.
The Market Hall opened in 1853. By 1868 it was described as being the worst conducted market hall in England with stall holders complaining of a lack of enforcement of bye laws and a prevalence of pick-pockets. Over the subsequent years the situation improved, thanks in part to the presence of police officers, and the market went from strength to strength. It finally closed in 1960 after concerns that repairs would prove too costly. The Civic Centre now occupies the site
© Historic England Archive