Placing beams JLP01_08_053320
COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, GEDLING ROAD, ARNOLD, GEDLING, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. Two workers guiding a Laingspan beam, lowered from a crane, into position on the roof of one of the blocks at Arnold County High School, during its construction.
Work began on the site in March 1958 and construction was completed for the new school term in September 1959. Laingspan was a flexible modular system of frame construction using precast pre-stressed concrete units. Laing developed the system in conjunction with the Architects and Buildings Branch of the Ministry of Education and consulting engineer A J Harris. The Arnold school was the first building for which the system was used beyond a prototype extension to Laing's own Research and Development Centre. Designed to economise on steel consumption and minimise on wet trades to speed up construction, the system went on to be used for other building types including offices and hospitals
© Historic England Archive