The Rookery Sutton Coldfield, 1942 AA42_03385
The Rookery, Lichfield Road, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. The derelict east front of The Rookery.
Once described as "The greatest ornament and addition to the town of Sutton" (Agricola 1762), The Rookery was constructed in circa 1700 by William Jesson, of Langley Hall. The house was home to members of the Jesson family until the 1780s when Elizabeth Jesson let the house to tenants. In 1811 a girls school was established in the Rookery and around this time the artist, David Cox, painted a watercolour of the house, now in collection of the Tate Gallery. In 1871 it was purchased by William Henry Tonks, a successful Birmingham brass founder. The Rookery remained in the Tonks family until 1934 when it was sold to Sutton Borough Council. In 1957 it was demolished. The site is now occupied by the police station
© Historic England Archive