Suspended escalators JLP01_10_57121
3 Minster Court, Mincing Lane, City of London. Looking up through the central atrium of 3 Minster Court, showing the system of escalators suspended from the roof.
In October 1990, Laing's London division were awarded the contract for the fitting out of the new London Underwriting Centre at No.3 Minster Court. Key parts of the contract included altering steelwork to enable 16 escalators to be suspended in the atrium, creating dining and kitchen areas on the mezzanine level and the installation of raised floors and suspended ceilings. In August 1991, the team faced a huge setback as the site was severely damaged by fire. The flames swept through the central atrium and burst through the roof. A new Laing team was formed to restore the building after the disaster, and work was finally completed in late 1993
© Historic England Archive
Clifton Cathedral JLP01_08_095347
Clifton Cathedral, Clifton Park, Clifton, City of Bristol. Two nuns looking up at a panel created in Faircrete by sculptor William Mitchell in Clifton Cathedral, depicting one of the Stations of the Cross.
This Roman Catholic Cathedral was designed by Ronald Weeks, E S Jennett and Antoni Poremba of the Percy Thomas Partnership. It was built by John Laing & Son Limited between 1969-1973 and was constructed using pre-cast concrete panels and in-situ concrete. In 1974 it received the Concrete Award from the Concrete Society. The English sculptor William Mitchell (born 1925) was commissioned to create 14 panels showing the Stations of the Cross, depicting Jesus on the day of his crucifixion. These panels were created in Faircrete, a fibrous concrete which could be moulded like potters clay
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection