Catering supplies JLP01_08_053299
NEWPORT PAGNELL, MILTON KEYNES. A man and woman loading a van with crates of food and drink from the canteen at the headquarters of the London to Yorkshire Motorway project, for staff working on Section B of the project.
The first 53 miles of the M1, the London to Yorkshire Motorway, opened in November 1959 and spanned from Berrygrove in Hertfordshire (Junction 5) to Crick in Northamptonshire (Junction 18). Work on this section was coordinated from the project headquarters in Newport Pagnell.
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection