Thames Foundry, Dagenham Works JLP01_01_048_22
Ford Motor Company Works, Thames Foundry, Dagenham, Havering, Greater London. A view of the new foundry under construction at the Ford Motor Company Works, showing the east and part of the south elevation and the formation of roads in the foreground before the erection of structural steel.
The foundry opened in 1957 and cost £7.5 million to build. The building was a two-storey reinforced concrete structure, almost a quarter of a mile in length. The new facilities included kitchens and a canteen, toilet accommodation, a medical centre and a compressor house. There was also an ancillary building, 700 ft in length, roads to the site, a settling tank and ponds. It later closed in 1984
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection