Demolition at Whitehall Gardens CXP01_01_076
PEMBROKE HOUSE, WHITEHALL GARDENS, WHITEHALL, CITY OF WESTMINSTER, GREATER LONDON. A view of the remains of Pembroke House at 7 Whitehall Gardens seen during demolition.
The Georgian town houses in Whitehall Gardens were demolished in 1938 to make way for the Board of Trade and Air Ministry Building, later the Ministry of Defence. However, due to the Second World War the construction of the new building was only started after the war. In the photograph, a sign on the entrance lodge to number 7 states that the Ministry of Transport has removed to Metropole Buildings, Northumberland Avenue WC2
© Historic England Archive