Manouevring a concrete caisson JLP01_01_064_42
TILBURY DOCKS, CHADWELL ST MARY, THURROCK, ESSEX. A view of the cooling water intake caisson for Coryton Oil Refinery leaving the lock at Tilbury Docks, with people on the side of the lock using ropes to guide the structure towards the gate.
During the Second World War, John Laing & Son Ltd built some of the floating caissons for the Mulberry harbour which were used in the D-day landings. This 4, 200 ton concrete water intake caisson was built along the lines of the Mulberry harbour and was towed 8 miles down the Thames from Tilbury Dock to be installed as part of Coryton Oil Refinery in March 1952. It was built between 1951 and 1952
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection