Marks and Spencer in Dewsbury MBC01_03_011
Marks and Spencer, Market Place, Dewsbury, Kirklees, West Yorkshire. The exterior of the Marks and Spencer store at 2-12 Market Place, showing the modular front developed by Robert Lutyens.
Marks and Spencer opened at a small premises in Westgate in Dewsbury in 1909. The larger Market Place store was opened 1936. It is an example of the modular front developed by Robert Lutyens, which was applied to steel-framed buildings and was intended to make extending the premises easier. The store was probably designed by J M Monro and Son. It closed in 2007 and the premises was later occupied by the clothing retailer Peacocks
© Historic England Archive