South Bank Lion JRU01_01_129
South Bank Lion, York Road, Lambeth, Greater London. The South Bank Lion on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station, viewed from the west.
The South Bank Lion, or Red Lion, stood on the parapet of the Lion Brewery on the south bank of the River Thames near Hungerford Bridge. The sculpture was created in 1837 by William Frederick Woodington. The lion is formed from separate parts, visible in this photograph, using Coade stone. The Lion Brewery on Belvedere Road was demolished in 1949, having been damaged by fire in 1931; the site was used as the South Bank Exhibition for the Festival of Britain in 1951. The sculpture was removed before the demolition of the brewery and, having likely been painted red previously, was restored and repainted. It was positioned on a plinth outside the York Road entrance of Waterloo Station until 1966, when it was moved to the east end of Westminster Bridge in Lambeth and was stripped of its red paint. The scultpture is Grade II* listed
© Historic England Archive