Coryton Refinery control room JLP01_08_020884a
CORYTON OIL REFINERY, THURROCK, ESSEX. A worker operating the control board in the control room of the Air-Lift Thermofor Catalytic Cracking Unit at Coryton Oil Refinery.
Coryton Oil Refinery was ceremonially opened in May 1954 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. It was operated by Vacuum Oil Company; a unit of Mobil. From 1996, the refinery was run by BP as part of a joint venture with Mobil. Ownership of Coryton Refinery was later transferred to BP in 2000, and then Petroplus Holdings in 2007. Major products of the refinery included petrol and diesel, aviation fuels, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oils and bitumen. Coryton Oil Refinery was closed down in 2012
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection
Gasholder and pylon DP183458
Leigh Road Gas Holder, Leigh Road, East Ham, Newham, Greater London. General view of the gasholder from the south, with a metal security fence in the foreground and an electricity pylon in the background
© Historic England Archive
Danger, Electric, Electricity Pylon, Fence, Gas, Gas Works, Keep Out, Power, Safety, Security