High Level Bridge UXC01_01_01_0397_32
HIGH LEVEL BRIDGE, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE. A general view from the north bank of the River Tyne, showing the High Level Bridge in the foreground and the Swing Bridge and New Tyne Bridge in the background, seen from the west.
The High Level Bridge is a combined road and railway bridge completed in 1849. The roadway is on the lower beam, and the railways above, supported by six segmental arches of cast iron, and five stone piers. Both levels have open parapets, and the south side of the bridge consists of an ashlar pier which extends towards the river. To the left is the shorter Swing Bridge, a road and pedestrian built 1868-76. It was originally powered by steam pumps which were replaced by electric in 1959. The central swing span can just be seen past the piers of the High Level Bridge. In the background it the New Tyne Bridge, the largest single-span bridge in Britain at the time of its construction, between 1925-28. The two-hinged arch has a span of 531ft, made longer by the approaches on either side
© Historic England Archive