Clifton Cathedral JLP01_08_095347
Clifton Cathedral, Clifton Park, Clifton, City of Bristol. Two nuns looking up at a panel created in Faircrete by sculptor William Mitchell in Clifton Cathedral, depicting one of the Stations of the Cross.
This Roman Catholic Cathedral was designed by Ronald Weeks, E S Jennett and Antoni Poremba of the Percy Thomas Partnership. It was built by John Laing & Son Limited between 1969-1973 and was constructed using pre-cast concrete panels and in-situ concrete. In 1974 it received the Concrete Award from the Concrete Society. The English sculptor William Mitchell (born 1925) was commissioned to create 14 panels showing the Stations of the Cross, depicting Jesus on the day of his crucifixion. These panels were created in Faircrete, a fibrous concrete which could be moulded like potters clay
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection