Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254

Runway Gallery

Available as Prints and Gift Items

Choose from 8 pictures in our Runway collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


RAF Church Fenton 28531_015
RAF Church Fenton 28531_015
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Runway construction JLP01_01_007_05
Runway construction JLP01_01_007_05
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Runway construction JLP01_01_007_01
Runway construction JLP01_01_007_01
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Compacting machinery JLP01_01_006_44
Compacting machinery JLP01_01_006_44
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Sheepsfoot roller JLP01_01_006_42
Sheepsfoot roller JLP01_01_006_42
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Concrete batching plant JLP01_01_006_09
Concrete batching plant JLP01_01_006_09
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Refuelling JLP01_01_004_73
Refuelling JLP01_01_004_73
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Lorries JLP01_01_005_19
Lorries JLP01_01_005_19
Full Range of Prints and Gifts in Stock
Compacting machinery JLP01_01_006_44 Featured Image

Compacting machinery JLP01_01_006_44

FILTON AIRFIELD, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A 10 ton rubber tyred wobble wheel roller, pulled by a caterpillar tractor, compacting ground during the construction of a new runway at Filton Airfield.
Laing extended the runway westwards at Filton Airfield to accommodate the Bristol Brabazon airliner, which was being built at the airfield. Work began in July 1946 on the new runway, which was 2,725 yards long and 100 yards wide. The work required the requisitioning and removal of Charlton village and a temporary flying strip was laid, for use while the new runway was under construction. The base course formation was compacted in 8 inch layers, first by sheepsfoot rolls, then by 10 ton wobble wheel rollers, and finally by 8 to 10 ton power rollers. The caption below this photograph in the album reads: "Rubber-tired (sic) roller finally produces a fairly finished surface."

© Historic England Archive