Night scene JLP01_08_064434
PATERNOSTER SQUARE, CITY OF LONDON. A night-time view looking south-east across the Paternoster development, showing the site during construction with St Paul's Cathedral in the background.
Work on the Paternoster development was carried out in a joint venture by John Laing Construction Limited, Trollope and Colls Limited, and George Wimpey and Company Limited. The scheme involved the redevelopment of a seven acre site on the north side of St Paul's Cathedral. The site had been almost entirely devastated during an incendiary raid in December 1940. The development consisted of a series of office blocks, a shopping precinct, an extensive piazza and a three-level car park. The various blocks were named after former Bishops of London. The tallest block was 18-storeys in height and was called Sudbury House. The three 10-storey blocks were Courtenay, Walden and Grendall Houses, and the five-storey blocks were Laud, Sheldon and Bancroft Houses
© Historic England Archive
Borrowbeck Viaduct JLP01_08_081831
M6 Motorway, M6, Tebay, Eden, Cumbria. A view of the construction of the M6 Motorway through the Lune Gorge at Borrowbeck Viaduct, looking up at bridge beams being launched across the gorge by a large gantry above.
The work on the Lune Gorge section of the M6 Motorway between Killington and Tebay (Junction 37 - Junction 38) was carried out by John Laing Construction Ltd. Work started in October 1967 and the motorway was opened to traffic in October 1970. On this stretch of the M6, 20 bridges and 17 culverts were built across rivers and streams. The motorway viaduct is located at grid reference NY6084201447 in Low Borrowbridge just to the west of a Victorian railway viaduct
© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection