Burnham Low Lighthouse BAR03_01_501
Burnham Low Lighthouse, Foreshore, Gore Road, Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge, Sedgemoor, Somerset. A view of Burnham Low Lighthouse from the east, photographed in 1956 or 1957. Burnham Low Lighthouse was built in 1832 in conjuction with the High Lighthouse (deactivated in the 1990s), both of which were intended to replace the Round Tower (operational until 1832). The Low Lighthouse stands on nine wooden piers. It is whitewashed, with a red vertical stripe on the seaward side, and a black horizontal band on the landward side. The lights were not active between 1969 and 1993; when the High Lighthouse was deactivated the lights of the Low Lighthouse were reinstated.
© © Historic England Archive