Market Hall Wolverhampton, 1942 AA42_03222
Market Hall, North Street, Wolverhampton. The west portico of the Market Hall in North Street.
The Market Hall opened in 1853. By 1868 it was described as being the worst conducted market hall in England with stall holders complaining of a lack of enforcement of bye laws and a prevalence of pick-pockets. Over the subsequent years the situation improved, thanks in part to the presence of police officers, and the market went from strength to strength. It finally closed in 1960 after concerns that repairs would prove too costly. The Civic Centre now occupies the site
© Historic England Archive