Lambeth Shot Tower CXP01_01_009
SHOT TOWER AND LEAD WORKS, BELVEDERE ROAD, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON. A view across the River Thames towards the shot tower at Lambeth Lead Works in 1936. Shows the demolition of the old Waterloo Bridge on the left, and in the foreground a rowing boat crossing the river.
The shot tower of the Lambeth Lead Works was designed by David Ridall Roper and was built in 1826 for Thomas Maltby & Co. At the time of this photograph it was operated by Walkers, Parker & Co but it was later demolished in 1962 to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall. The Waterloo Bridge, which is shown during its demolition, was designed by John Rennie and opened in 1817
© Historic England Archive