Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > Images Dated > 2021 > August > 23 Aug 2021

Images Dated 23rd August 2021

Choose from 26 pictures in our Images Dated 23rd August 2021 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Regent Theatre Hanley NWC01_01_0211 Featured 23 Aug 2021 Image

Regent Theatre Hanley NWC01_01_0211

Regent Theatre, Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. A view from the stage looking out on the auditorium of the Regent Theatre, where a group of people is gathered, showing the ceiling dome above
The Regent Theatre opened in February 1929. In 1950 the cinema was renamed the Gaumont Cinema, and in 1976 it became the Odeon. The cinema closed in October 1989 and remained unoccupied until the mid 1990s, when it was renovated before reopening in 1999. The renovation work included enlargement of the stage and alterations to the auditorium. The proscenium arch was removed and repositioned, and the dome was altered; this photograph shows the dome after renovation and has therefore been dated to post-1999

© Historic England Archive

White Gates Level Crossing MOT01_01_19 Featured 23 Aug 2021 Image

White Gates Level Crossing MOT01_01_19

White Gates Level Crossing, Canning Town, Newham, Greater London. Vans and horse-drawn carts on the White Gates Level Crossing, and traffic queuing on Victoria Dock Road alongside the North Woolwich Railway, 1920s.
The White Gates Level Crossing provided vehicular access from Victoria Dock Road to the Royal Victoria Dock and Silvertown, crossing the North Woolwich Railway. In 1922 the average number of vehicles crossing White Gates in 24 hours was 2,852, an increase from 2,173 in 1904 and 2,496 in 1913. Due to closure of the gates for trains, road traffic was stopped for over 9 hours each day. The level crossing was therefore one of a number of bottle necks on the approach to the docks, which also included the narrow swing bridge at the west entrance of Royal Victoria Dock. It was not until the Royal Victoria and other Dock Approaches (Improvement) Act was passed in 1929 that work began on a new road scheme in the area

© Historic England Archive