Featured 27 Jun 2022 Image
Cinematograph Cinema BL22928
Cinematograph Theatre, 269 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, Haringey, Greater London, later known as the Finsbury Park Cinema. Exterior view showing posters advertising the latest films and a newspaper vendor standing outside a tobacconist shop next door. Photographed in March 1915.
The cinema was opened in 1909 by cinema entrepreneur Montagu Pyke. The building is one of eight cinemas photographed for United Electric Theatres Ltd. although the Kelly directory of 1915 lists Amalgamated Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. at this address. The vendor in the image is carrying a poster announcing the shelling of the Dardanelles forts.
The original cinema building at 269 Seven Sisters Road opened as Pyke's Cinematograph in 1909. The much larger Rink Cinema stood directly behind this building at 10 Stroud Green Road. In 1920 the two were combined under the name of the Finsbury Park Cinema (later reverting back to the Rink Cinema), with Pyke's cinema becoming a grand foyer and the auditorium located in the original Rink building
© Historic England Archive