Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > Industry > Engineering and Construction > Berkeley Power Station

Berkeley Power Station Gallery

Building a nuclear power station

Choose from 25 pictures in our Berkeley Power Station collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Constructing Reactor 1 JLP01_01_074_10 Featured Berkeley Power Station Print

Constructing Reactor 1 JLP01_01_074_10

BERKELEY POWER STATION, BERKELEY, HAM AND STONE, STROUD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A view over Reactor No.1 during the construction of Berkeley Nuclear Power Station, showing the jib for the 10 ton Scotch Derrick being lifted in to place for the erection of the Monotower Crane, with the Monotower foundation on the right of the foreground.

Berkeley Nuclear Power Station was the first commercial nuclear power station in the United Kingdom and one of the first generation of nuclear reactors in Britain. It had two Magnox reactors and was one of four stations located close to the mouth of the River Severn and the Bristol Channel. Laing were the civil engineers for the project with work commencing on 7th January 1957. The nuclear power station came into service in 1962 but has since been decommissioned following its closure in 1989

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Reactor 1 biological shield JLP01_01_078_69 Featured Berkeley Power Station Print

Reactor 1 biological shield JLP01_01_078_69

BERKELEY POWER STATION, BERKELEY, HAM AND STONE, STROUD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Looking down at the east side of Reactor No.1 during the construction of Berkeley Nuclear Power Station, showing the biological shield and its discharge shaft with a Laing team working above.

Berkeley Nuclear Power Station was the first commercial nuclear power station in the United Kingdom and one of the first generation of nuclear reactors in Britain. It had two Magnox reactors and was one of four stations located close to the mouth of the River Severn and the Bristol Channel. Laing were the civil engineers for the project with work commencing on 7th January 1957. The nuclear power station came into service in 1962 but has since been decommissioned following its closure in 1989

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection