Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Industry > Engineering and Construction > Building Offices > Paternoster Square

Paternoster Square Gallery

Choose from 17 pictures in our Paternoster Square collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Drilling rig JLP01_08_066854a Featured Paternoster Square Image

Drilling rig JLP01_08_066854a

St Paul's Cathedral, St Paul's Churchyard, City of London. A McKinney DAG 60 drilling rig in operation during the construction of the Paternoster development, with the west end of St Paul's Cathedral in the background.
Work on the Paternoster development was carried out in a joint venture by John Laing Construction Limited, Trollope and Colls Limited, and George Wimpey and Company Limited. The scheme involved the redevelopment of a seven acre site on the north side of St Paul's Cathedral. The site had been almost entirely devastated during an incendiary raid in December 1940. The development consisted of a series of office blocks, a shopping precinct, an extensive piazza and a three-level car park. The various blocks were named after former Bishops of London. The tallest block was 18-storeys in height and was called Sudbury House. The three 10-storey blocks were Courtenay, Walden and Grendall Houses, and the five-storey blocks were Laud, Sheldon and Bancroft Houses. This photograph was published in November 1963 in Laing's monthly newsletter Team Spirit'. Beneath it, the captions describes how the DAG 60 drilling rig had recently been introduced to this country by McKinney Foundations Limited

© Historic England Archive