Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Industry > Engineering and Construction > Building Power Stations > Berkeley Power Station

Berkeley Power Station Gallery

Building a nuclear power station

Choose from 25 pictures in our Berkeley Power Station collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Constructing Reactor 1 JLP01_01_074_10 Featured Berkeley Power Station Image

Constructing Reactor 1 JLP01_01_074_10

BERKELEY POWER STATION, BERKELEY, HAM AND STONE, STROUD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A view over Reactor No.1 during the construction of Berkeley Nuclear Power Station, showing the jib for the 10 ton Scotch Derrick being lifted in to place for the erection of the Monotower Crane, with the Monotower foundation on the right of the foreground.
Berkeley Nuclear Power Station was the first commercial nuclear power station in the United Kingdom and one of the first generation of nuclear reactors in Britain. It had two Magnox reactors and was one of four stations located close to the mouth of the River Severn and the Bristol Channel. Laing were the civil engineers for the project with work commencing on 7th January 1957. The nuclear power station came into service in 1962 but has since been decommissioned following its closure in 1989

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Delivering groceries JLP01_08_048781 Featured Berkeley Power Station Image

Delivering groceries JLP01_08_048781

BERKELEY POWER STATION, BERKELEY, HAM AND STONE, STROUD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. The local butcher's wife delivering supplies to Mrs Glover, living in a caravan on a temporary site at Berkeley Nuclear Power Station during its construction
Berkeley Nuclear Power Station was the first commercial nuclear power station in the United Kingdom and one of the first generation of nuclear reactors in Britain. Laing were the civil engineers for the project with work commencing on 7th January 1957. The 57 acre site included offices and temporary housing with facilities for the workers on site. Mrs Glover, shown in the photograph, was the wife of Jim Glover who was a Lima excavator river working on the diversion of the Conigre Pill

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection