FILTON AIRFIELD, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A 10 ton rubber tyred wobble wheel roller, pulled by a caterpillar tractor, compacting ground during the construction of a new runway at Filton Airfield.
Laing extended the runway westwards at Filton Airfield to accommodate the Bristol Brabazon airliner, which was being built at the airfield. Work began in July 1946 on the new runway, which was 2,725 yards long and 100 yards wide. The work required the requisitioning and removal of Charlton village and a temporary flying strip was laid, for use while the new runway was under construction. The base course formation was compacted in 8 inch layers, first by sheepsfoot rolls, then by 10 ton wobble wheel rollers, and finally by 8 to 10 ton power rollers. The caption below this photograph in the album reads: "Rubber-tired (sic) roller finally produces a fairly finished surface."
Credit: A© Historic England Archive. Joh