Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Industry > Engineering and Construction > Coventry Cathedral

Coventry Cathedral Gallery

Choose from 86 pictures in our Coventry Cathedral collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Construction and the old cathedral JLP01_08_057564 Featured Coventry Cathedral Image

Construction and the old cathedral JLP01_08_057564

COVENTRY CATHEDRAL, PRIORY STREET, COVENTRY. A view looking south-west over the ruins of the Cathedral Church of St Michael from the roof of the new Coventry Cathedral, showing part of the construction site in the foreground adjoining the old cathedral.
Following the bombing of Coventry Cathedral in November 1940, a competition was launched in 1950 to find a design for a new cathedral. The winning design was by Sir Basil Spence (1907-1976) from one of over 200 designs submitted. Building work took place between the mid-1950s and 1962. Queen Elizabeth II laid the foundation stone on 23th March 1956

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Concrete shuttering JLP01_08_044591 Featured Coventry Cathedral Image

Concrete shuttering JLP01_08_044591

COVENTRY CATHEDRAL, PRIORY STREET, COVENTRY. A view of the construction site of Coventry Cathedral, showing the erection of shutters to the baptistery windows and circular staircase, including the construction of the heavily reinforced undercroft floor slab and joiners working on the steel reinforcing, preparing a floor bay for concrete.
The photograph also shows the one foot six inch starter nib to the walls which is concreted at the same time as the floor slab. In the foreground two joiners are fixing the circular shutter which forms the circular stair well, while the parabolic shutter forms the instrument room

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Cathedral construction site JLP01_01_025_57 Featured Coventry Cathedral Image

Cathedral construction site JLP01_01_025_57

COVENTRY CATHEDRAL, PRIORY STREET, COVENTRY. A view of the construction site of Coventry Cathedral taken from the spire of the old Coventry Cathedral, looking down on the original graveyard and the remains of the Old Priory Row which traversed the site from east to west.
The photograph shows the construction of the new Coventry Cathedral, designed by Basil Spence in 1951 and constructed between the mid-1950s and 1962. It replaced the ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael which had been badly damaged by bombing in 1941. The caption below the photograph in the album reads "... In the centre of the middle ground can be seen the construction of the walls of the Fan Chamber, which is situated under the Chapel of Unity, and the concrete blinding which is under the floor of the passage leading into the Fan Chamber."

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection