Skip to main content
Home > Industry > Extraction

Extraction Gallery

Choose from 48 pictures in our Extraction collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.

Carringtons Coppice Opencast Colliery JLP01_08_001293 Featured Extraction Print

Carringtons Coppice Opencast Colliery JLP01_08_001293

CARRINGTON'S COPPICE OPENCAST COLLIERY, SMALLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE. The last tons of coal being extracted from the opencast mine at Carrington's Coppice, with a 178 ft deep cut looming above.

John Laing and Son Ltd had started opencast mining operations in 1942 to meet wartime needs. The work was expanded by the company after the war. Carrington's Coppice was the largest site that the company worked and was the deepest opencast site in Britain. Work started in 1947 and by 1949 the seam was worked out after 523,623 tons of coal had been extracted from the site. By August 1950 the land was reinstated for agricultural use. this photograph was published in October 1949 in the Laing monthly newsletter 'Team Spirit'

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

China Clay Works ALB93_05_133 Featured Extraction Print

China Clay Works ALB93_05_133

Bloomdale China Clay and Stone Works, St. Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall. Photographed between 1919 and 1936. A view of the engine house at Bloomdale China Clay and Stone Works, showing the aquaduct used to carry the clay stream to the trenches known as Micas'.
This photograph forms part of a set in an album documenting the china clay industry around St Austell, Cornwall

© Historic England Archive

Housemans Shaft Engine House at South Phoenix Mine DES01_02_010 Featured Extraction Print

Housemans Shaft Engine House at South Phoenix Mine DES01_02_010

The roofless shell of Houseman's Shaft Engine House at South Phoenix Mine, Minions, Linkinhorne, Cornwall. List entry number: 1140490. Photographed by Eileen Deste. Date range 1960-1976. The mine was originally opened as Wheal Prosper in the 1830s. In 1836 it was amalgamated with other small mines to form the Cornwall Great United Mines and was later renamed Wheal Phoenix and then South Phoenix. Copper was originally mined at the site, although, as reserves of this dimished, the mine changed to extracting tin. This engine house was added to the site in the mid-19th century. The mine closed in the early 20th century and the engine house in now the Minions Heritage Centre

© Historic England Archive