Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > The way we were > Going down the pub

Going down the pub Gallery

Choose from 40 pictures in our Going down the pub collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


In the bar JLP01_08_067943 Featured Going down the pub Image

In the bar JLP01_08_067943

EGGBOROUGH POWER STATION, A19, EGGBOROUGH, SELBY, NORTH YORKSHIRE. A group of workers socialising at the bar of the snug at the Eggborough Power Station Social Club, as a bartender pours a drink in the foreground.
The Eggborough Power Station staff club was provided by the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) and furnished by the Laing Company. It was run by a Committee representing all employing companies and authorities. The club building housed a lounge bar known as the snug, a television room, billiards and table tennis rooms. More information on the social club can be found in the April 1964 edition of Laing's monthly newsletter, Team Spirit

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Oxford Arms Inn AL1827_006_01 Featured Going down the pub Image

Oxford Arms Inn AL1827_006_01

Oxford Arms Inn, Oxford Arms Passage, Warwick Lane, City of London. Alfred and John Bool (1850-??1933) of Pimlico photographed the Oxford Arms Inn, an increasingly rare survival of a galleried coaching inn, for the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London when the future of the building was uncertain. The elevated view, capturing the dome and towers of St Paul'??s Cathedral, was taken from a window of the Central Criminal Court. The record value of this photograph and others in the series was realised just three years later when in 1878 the Oxford Arms was demolished, making way for a range of houses built for the Minor Canons of St Paul'??s by the architect Ewan Christian. Carbon print

© Historic England

The Tabard or Talbot Inn DD97_00055 Featured Going down the pub Image

The Tabard or Talbot Inn DD97_00055

Tabard Inn, Talbot Yard, Southwark, London. A view of the courtyard with a wagon in the foreground and a group of people. The Tabard was an established inn during the Middle Ages and features in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, written in the late 14th century. The pilgims met here before setting out on their journey to the Cathedral. The inn burnt down in 1676 and it is the rebuilt one (which may be based on the original building) that is pictured here. As a coaching inn it suffered from the coming of the railways. Renamed the Talbot Inn, the buildings around the courtyard were used as storerooms in the 19th century, but it was sold in 1873 and demolished shortly afterwards. Photographed by York & Son 1870-73

© Historic England