sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > England at War > England at War 1939-45

England at War 1939-45 Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 68 pictures in our England at War 1939-45 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Featured England at War 1939-45 Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Featured England at War 1939-45 Print

Blood supply MED01_01_0922

Army Blood Supply Depot, Southmead Hospital, Southmead Road, City Of Bristol. Two men transferring blood from small donation bottles into large glass Winchester bottles. Plasma transfusion. This picture shows the ?pooling' of the blood returned to the depot after being obtained during the day by the blood transfusion teams. From 300 to 350 pints are taken during the day and the abstraction of the plasma takes place during the night. Photographed in August 1940 by Topical Press Agency Limited

© Historic England Archive

Featured England at War 1939-45 Print

HMT Queen Mary at Southampton EAW001370

HMT QUEEN MARY at home in Southampton in June 1946 between round trips to Halifax, Nova Scotia and New York. The "Grey Ghost" transported many war brides to the US in 1946 before being demobilised in September, refitted then returned to civilian service as the ocean liner RMS Queen Mary in July 1947. Aerofilms Collection (see Links)

© Historic England