Barlow Hall AA42_01730
BARLOW HALL, BARLOW HALL ROAD, CHORLTON CUM HARDY, MANCHESTER. An exterior view of Barlow Hall, seen from the south-west in the grounds, with a moat in the foreground. Formerly a manor house, Barlow Hall was built in the 16th and 17th centuries, with alterations made in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. It was badly damaged by a fire in 1879 and formerly consisted of four ranges surrounding a courtyard. Now, there are three ranges of two storeys, with the east side of the courtyard open. The south range has a large semi-circular bay at the west end with French windows, and the west range has an earlier gabled bay at the north end, with the rest covered with a 20th century loggia.
The house was the home of Blessed Ambrose Barlow (b.1585 and martyred at Lancaster 1641), and is now a golf club.
© Historic England Archive