Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Images Dated > 2008

Images Dated 2008

Choose from 1,052 pictures in our Images Dated 2008 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Photos, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured 2008 Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Ludgate Circus, London CC97_01518 Featured 2008 Print

Ludgate Circus, London CC97_01518

LUDGATE CIRCUS, City of London. A busy street view of Ludgate Circus looking towards St Paul's Cathedral with horse-drawn buses in the foreground and a steam train on the bridge. The Circus was constructed at the junction of Ludgate Hill and Fleet Street between 1864 and 1875. A late 19th century photograph by York and Son

© Historic England

The Valley, Charlton 24994_010 Featured 2008 Print

The Valley, Charlton 24994_010

THE VALLEY, Charlton, London. Aerial view. Home of Charlton Athletic Football Club since 1919. After ground closure in 1985, Charlton moved back into a renovated stadium in 1992 and have since rebuilt three sides of the ground to offer a 27, 000 all-seated stadium. Photographed in May 2008

© Historic England

Aerial, Football, Leisure, Recreation, Sport, Urban