Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Home > Images Dated > 2021 > November > 19 Nov 2021

Images Dated 19th November 2021

Choose from 62 pictures in our Images Dated 19th November 2021 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Factory interior JLP01_08_023335 Featured 19 Nov 2021 Image

Factory interior JLP01_08_023335

Murphy Radio Factory, Bessemer Road, Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire. The interior of the Production Shop at the Murphy Radio Factory, showing the glazed clerestory of a cantilever shell concrete roof above one of the bays.
Construction of the new 300,000 square foot Murphy Radio Factory began in October 1953. The first contract was for the production shop, boiler house, annexes, roads, drainage and external site work. The production shop featured roofs of cantilever shell concrete spanning the width of the building in 3 bays, while the length was comprised of fifteen bays each 180 foot in length and 30 feet wide. The roofs had clerestories of glazing facing east and west in order to maximise the daylight which reached working areas. Inside the building, service ducts were located under the valleys of the roof. This photograph was published in the March 1955 edition of Laing's Team Spirit newsletter

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Structural glazing JLP01_09_823116 Featured 19 Nov 2021 Image

Structural glazing JLP01_09_823116

Napp Laboratories, Milton Road, Cambridge Science Park, Milton, South Cambridgeshire. A view along an elevation at Napp Laboratories during construction, showing its sloping precast concrete columns and structural glazing.
Napp Laboratories was built by Laing Management Contracting for Napp Pharmaceutical Group, with work starting in October 1980. The building project included a combined pharmaceutical production building and warehouse, research and laboratory services, administration offices, restaurant and auditorium. The building, which was designed by Toronto-based Arthur Erickson Architects, consists of three buildings linked together to form one complex. Sitting 1200 mm above the surrounding land on a concrete podium, it also has an ornamental lake on the south side. It was constructed using 102 sloping precast concrete columns and solar reflective sloping double glazing known as structural glazing

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Joiner JLP01_08_049264 Featured 19 Nov 2021 Image

Joiner JLP01_08_049264

PORTISHEAD B POWER STATION, PORTISHEAD AND NORTH WESTON, NORTH SOMERSET. A Laing joiner, working on the construction of Portishead B Power Station.
A cropped version of this image was published in the People section of the May 1957 edition of Laing's monthly newsletter, Team Spirit.
Portishead B Power Station opened in the mid 1950's. Portishead's original power station, which was completed in 1929, became known as Power Station A'. Portishead B was built on part of the Great Western Railway's original Portishead Railway Station, which was demolished and rebuilt closer to the centre. Portishead B had eight coal-fired and four oil-fired steam boilers. The power station closed in 1982, and the chimneys were demolished in 1992

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection