FILTON AIRFIELD, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A concrete batching plant, with a Laing truck being loaded in the foreground, at Filton Airfield during the construction of a new runway.
Laing extended the runway westwards at Filton Airfield to accommodate the Bristol Brabazon airliner, which was being built at the airfield. Work began in July 1946 on the new runway, which was 2,725 yards long and 100 yards wide. The work required the requisitioning and removal of Charlton village and a temporary flying strip was laid, for use while the new runway was under construction
Credit: A© Historic England Archive. Joh