Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > The way we were > House and home

House and home Gallery

Choose from 62 pictures in our House and home collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Nurses hostel JLP01_08_074883 Featured House and home Image

Nurses hostel JLP01_08_074883

Restell Close, Greenwich,
Greater London. Two women sitting, reading and writing, in the bedroom of a Sectra block of residential nurses flats on Restell Close.
This residential block for nurses was one of three 10-storey, H-shaped blocks, built by Laing's Construction Company for the South-East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board, using the Sectra system. The flats were built on a high point just off Vanbrugh Hill with views over Greenwich, Deptford and the River Thames, providing self-contained flats of three and four rooms for nurses who worked at Greenwich Hospital. The blocks were named Jenner House, Lister House and Norfolk House. In 2007, two of the blocks were demolished and Norfolk House was reclad and subsequently renamed Leamington Court

© Historic England Archive

Friends outside JLP01_08_072661 Featured House and home Image

Friends outside JLP01_08_072661

Bearwood House, Bearwood Road, Smethwick, Sandwell, West Midlands. A young woman sitting in the lounge-diner of a flat at Bearwood House, waving to a friend outside.
Sectra was a French prefabricated steel formwork design for flats which John Laing and Son Ltd acquired the British rights to in 1962. It was a method of using precision-made steel formwork for the placing of structural concrete in tunnel sections in room unit widths and ceiling heights. The units were bolted together in rows on special tracks, with the concrete poured to form the walls and floors in one operation. The formwork was internally heated to accelerate the hardening of the concrete in the mould and the sections were then lifted into position by a tower crane on the construction site.
Bearwood House was built by Laing for Smethwick Borough County Council. The architects were K.R. Emmett, S. Greenwood, J.E. Hepburn and R.E. Philcock. Construction work started in 1965 and the building was opened on 25th January 1966. It has since been demolished

© Historic England Archive

Bossington OP01574 Featured House and home Image

Bossington OP01574

Bossington, Somerset, 1890-??1910. Unknown photographer, probably Sir Henry Churchill Maxwell Lyte (1848-??1940), platinum print. Lyte'??s view of the village of Bossington in the decades before the First World War is full of interesting topographical details. The distant hill hints at the settlementa??s secluded valley setting; the ancient gnarled tree and the stone and thatched cottages, one with a massive external chimney, suggest a place of great antiquity; the stone pavement and steps outside the cottage on the right warn of deep winter mud, not least in the unpaved road. The peaceful scene suggests a rural idyll, but few inhabitants probably shared that view

© Historic England