Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > The way we were > University life

University life Gallery

Choose from 49 pictures in our University life collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Map Room JLP01_08_077525 Featured University life Image

Map Room JLP01_08_077525

University of Nottingham, Sir Clive Grainger Building, University Park, Nottingham. The map room in a new building for the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences at the University of Nottingham, with a man looking into a drawer in a plans chest.
This university building was designed by the architects Bartlett and Gray of Nottingham and was built by the Nottingham district team of Laing's Construction Company for the University of Nottingham, with work starting in the autumn of 1965. In an article published in February 1968 in their monthly newsletter Team Spirit, Laing describe the building as consisting of five buildings in one grouped round a courtyard with a lecture theatre off at a tangent. Originally housing the departments of geography, social science, politics, law and banking, it has subsequently been renamed the Sir Clive Grainger Building and now houses the School of Geography and the School of Economics

© Historic England Archive

Chemistry lab JLP01_08_069816 Featured University life Image

Chemistry lab JLP01_08_069816

Durham University, Science Laboratories, Durham, County Durham. A busy chemistry laboratory at Durham University with students engaged in experimental work.
Between 1963-1964, the Northern Region of Laing's Construction Company built a complex of buildings for Durham University consisting of chemistry, geology and a mathematics building, shown on maps as Science Laboratories'. This photograph was published in December 1964 in Laing's monthly newsletter Team Spirit'. It shows one of the chemistry laboratories in the complex, described in the newsletter as having four different gas supplies in addition to other services and the very latest type of fume cupboards

© Historic England Archive

John Rylands Library BL15842 Featured University life Image

John Rylands Library BL15842

John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester. The front of John Rylands Library seen from Deansgate. When John Rylands died in 1888 his wife commissioned architect Basil Champneys to design a library which would house Rylands collection of theological books. The library, designed in the Gothic style, was built between 1890-1899. It later became part of the University of Manchester. Photographed in June or July 1900 by Harry Bedford Lemere

© reproduced by permission of english heritage.nmr