Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Home > Historic Images

Historic Images Gallery

Choose from 2,963 pictures in our Historic Images collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Shibden Hall AA42_02081 Featured Historic Images Print

Shibden Hall AA42_02081

SHIBDEN HALL, SHIBDEN, HALIFAX, Calderdale. An exterior view of Shibden Hall, seen from the south with the gardens in the foreground. The house was built for William Oates c1420 and was altered in the 16th and mid 19th century. The original sections are timber-framed and the 16th century work included the addition of stone casings. It has a hall with two storey cross wings, and a tower in the south-west corner added by Anne Lister c1836

© Historic England Archive

The Rookery Sutton Coldfield, 1942 AA42_03385 Featured Historic Images Print

The Rookery Sutton Coldfield, 1942 AA42_03385

The Rookery, Lichfield Road, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. The derelict east front of The Rookery.
Once described as "The greatest ornament and addition to the town of Sutton" (Agricola 1762), The Rookery was constructed in circa 1700 by William Jesson, of Langley Hall. The house was home to members of the Jesson family until the 1780s when Elizabeth Jesson let the house to tenants. In 1811 a girls school was established in the Rookery and around this time the artist, David Cox, painted a watercolour of the house, now in collection of the Tate Gallery. In 1871 it was purchased by William Henry Tonks, a successful Birmingham brass founder. The Rookery remained in the Tonks family until 1934 when it was sold to Sutton Borough Council. In 1957 it was demolished. The site is now occupied by the police station

© Historic England Archive

St Bartholomews Heigham, 1942 AA42_03745 Featured Historic Images Print

St Bartholomews Heigham, 1942 AA42_03745

St Bartholomew's Church, St Bartholomew's Close, Heigham, Norwich, Norfolk. St Bartholomew's Church viewed from the south showing bomb damage.
The medieval church of St Bartholomew was destroyed in a German bombing raid on the 27th April 1942. The raid was the first Baedeker Raid on the city of Norwich. The Baedeker raids or Baedeker Blitz was a series of air raids undertaken by the Luftwaffe in a tit for tat exchange initiated by the RAF bombing of Lubeck in March 1942. The name derives from the popular pre-war tourist books known as Baedeker Guides, which listed British sites of cultural or historic interest. Only the church tower now remains

© Historic England Archive