Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Architecture > Cinemas > Norman Walley Collection

Norman Walley Collection Gallery

Photographs of cinemas from the 1970s to the 1990s

Choose from 26 pictures in our Norman Walley Collection collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Empire Cinema NWC01_01_1868 Featured Norman Walley Collection Image

Empire Cinema NWC01_01_1868

Empire Cinema, Leicester Square, City of Westminster, Greater London. The auditorium of Screen 1 in the Empire Cinema.
The Empire Theatre first opened in 1884 and was designed by Thomas Verity. Its facade, entrance and auditorium were redeveloped in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Between 1928 and 1961, the auditorium had 3,300 seats. After 1962, when the interior was redesigned by George Coles, the former stalls became a dance hall, later a casino. In the 1980s the cinema was converted into three screens: the original Screen 1 could seat 1,330 people, the adjacent Ritz Cinema became Screen 2, and an area off the foyer was use as Screen 3. Screen 1 was subdivided in the early 21st century

© Historic England Archive

Odeon Muswell Hill NWC01_01_2006 Featured Norman Walley Collection Image

Odeon Muswell Hill NWC01_01_2006

ODEON CINEMA, FORTIS GREEN ROAD, MUSWELL HILL, HARINGEY, GREATER LONDON. The auditorium in the Odeon Cinema, viewed from the side of the circle, showing the curtained screen, proscenium and curved front and ceiling.
The Odeon Cinema opened in 1936. The exterior design of the building was restricted and subdued due to opposition from the church located opposite; the interior was therefore designed to compensate. The auditorium is described as being "the most elaborate interior of any Odeon cinema to survive". It was divided into three screens in 1974, with two screens in beneath the circle and a screen using seating in the circle and the original proscenium and screen; the former front stalls were unused. The cinema was renamed the Everyman Cinema in 2015. In 2016 two pod screens were built in the circle, while the former stalls were brought back into use and, along with the front of the circle, formed a new screen

© Historic England Archive