Eaton Hall CC80_00432
Eaton Hall, Cheshire. The Dragon Fountain in the Italian Garden, with the south elevation of the house behind. Eaton Hall was built between 1870 and 1882. It was demolished in the 1960s, and a replacement house was constructed on the site. Photographed in August 1933 for the London Midland and Scottish Railway
Victoria Park Estate JLP01_08_078248
Victoria Park Estate, Macclesfield, Cheshire East. Three girls standing beside a stone wall, looking towards flats in the distance at the Victoria Park development, built using the 12M Jespersen system.
In 1963, John Laing and Son Ltd bought the rights to the Danish industrialised building system for flats known as Jespersen (sometimes referred to as Jesperson). The company built factories in Scotland, Hampshire and Lancashire producing Jespersen prefabricated parts and precast concrete panels, allowing the building of housing to be rationalised, saving time and money. The Victoria Park development in Macclesfield, lying between the park and the centre of town, was built by Laing in two phases using the 12M Jespersen system. Providing around 500 flats, the design consisted of thirteen interlinked blocks forming a series of courts with landscaped gardens. The first phase was completed in 1968 with the second phase started in the same year. This photograph was published in June 1968 in Laing's monthly newsletter Team Spirit
© Historic England Archive
Central London YMCA JLP01_08_761537
Central London YMCA, Great Russell Street, Camden, Greater London. The structurally-complete tower blocks of the Central London YMCA, with scaffolding erected around the two-storey podium below, viewed from the south-east.
It was announced in February 1971 that Laing had started work on a new building at Central London YMCA, to replace an existing building which had opened in the 1910s. The project comprised four residential towers between 6 and 12 storeys high, above a podium. The towers would accommodate 1,200 residents in over 700 single and double bedrooms; staff would be accommodated in penthouse suits on the top of the three lower towers. The towers were built on a two-storey podium containing restaurants, offices, a public library, and shops. Beneath the buildings were basements 16 metres below street level, for car parks, a swimming pool, a gymnasium, a sports hall, and a conference centre. The basements and podium, which were built using reinforced concrete and structural steel, comprised Phase I of the project. The towers were built in Phase II. They were clad in 2,000 precast concrete panels and used deeply moulded white concrete window panels, both manufactured by John Laing Concrete in Princes Risborough. The building was completed in 1977, though it was partially occupied by October 1976
© Historic England Archive